The trend for web-based applications is ‘self-taught’ or ‘self-learning’. Although legal accounting, and especially trust accounting, can be complex, LawPracticeZA has, together with an intuitive interface, incorporated many controls and automation to make this process as simple and error-free as possible.
This manual is provided to assist with achieving self-sufficiency as quickly and painlessly as possible. Accurate and up-to-date trust accounts are critical, but for a successful practice, Matter Management and Billing with integrated business and trust accounting is extremely important. Good legal bookkeepers are in short supply, and LawPracticeZA is an application that encapsulates much of the expertise required.
LawPracticeZA is your 24/7 expert assistant, helping you to run your law firm efficiently and effectively.
This is a living document that is updated as new features and functionality is added to LawPracticeZA. Visit often.
How to use this manual¶
The various sections in the manual are designed to satisfy specific requirements. For example, when a Fee earner is new to LawPracticeZA, the Fee Earner Getting Stated section will provide quick and simple help for getting up and running. As more experience is gained and assistance is needed for a specific function, the more in-depth Fee Earner User Guide will be useful.
- Fee Earner: Getting Started: this provides the typical administrative actions that a fee earner would perform using LawPracticeZA in a normal working day, plus other actions that affect the fee earner (but may be the domain of the bookkeeper). Full details of all fee earner functions are provided in the Fee Earner Guide (see below).
- Fee Earner User Guide provides details of all Fee Earner functions.
- Bookkeeper User Guide provides details of all Bookkeeper functions.
- Administrator Guide provides details of all Admin functions.
- Concepts provides explanations for issues relating and pertinent to law firms. This is followed by frequently asked questions - with answers (FAQ’s).
- API Guide and Schema provide technical information for developers interesting in integrating LawPracticeZA with their applications, or larger firms, with in-house IT expertise, integrating customised systems with LawPracticeZA.
Most sections provide links to load the module under review: you must be logged in to LawPracticeZA for the module to load, and you will need rights to the module. For example, if a ‘Fee Earner’ and not also a ‘Bookkeeper’, you will not be able to load a bookkeeping function.
The User Guide sections of the manual mirrors the menu. Different users may have different privileges, so not all options may be available when you login.
The best way of learning is doing: start with Fee Earner: Getting Started. Once more familiar with LawPracticeZA, help on all Fee Earners functions is provided for in the Fee Earner User Guide. The additional aids (details below) will also help you get up and running quickly.
Additional aids for learning and using LawPracticeZA¶
To provide a compact and efficient means to firstly gain a ‘mile-high’ view of LawPracticeZA, but also to drill-down into the specific function required, we have designed a number of PDF documents, which can be printed or viewed on-line.
When viewed on-line, help for a specific topic or function can be accessed by clicking on the relevant info icon.
To load a function (e.g. Fee Earners Calendar or Bookkeeping Payments or Receipts), click the relevant section in the document.
You must be logged into LawPracticeZA when clicking most of the links in the PDF (and be in the same browser which your system uses when opening web links from PDFs).
There are several documents; each provide for a different category of user.
- Single page Fee Earners summarising all fee earner functionality, with a flowchart of the most common activities.
- Two-page Bookkeeper printable pdf with expanded comments and a single-page pdf for viewing on your computer or tablet.
- Administrators: can be both printed and viewed online.
- A chart of Debits and Credits is provided to summarise bookkeeping accounting entries in a law firm.
- A copy of this manual is also available in pdf format, which can be read off-line and is searchable and can be printed.